Thursday, September 9, 2010

Being a Part of the Food Chain

goff

How about this muggy weather? Could anything be better for the garden?
My garden looks like it is thriving on some tropical island in the South
Pacific! Joe and I come home from work every night and marvel at how
magnificent it all is. The herbs look positively atomic not to mention
that I already have green peppers at half size! Such a joy to be a part of
this incredible process of growing vegetables. Really, all I am in this food
chain of sun, rain, earth and seed is the stupid human that dug the hole.
But still the pride that I feel when a seedling pokes his head out, feels
like I just gave birth...um, well, without the labor pains.


Being connected to the earth has changed me. And I have to say, in the
last year, the change has been profound. I am beginning to understand the
wisdom of eating what is locally grown and only what is in season. This of
course, takes a huge amount of planning and commitment, but hey, what else am I going to do? Watch television? So I am slowly making the adjustment of
walking the talk so that I can live with a little more integrity and show
real respect for this incredible planet that we all get to live on, our
Mother Earth. Let us all revel in the pleasure of the sun on our backs,
the breeze in our hair, the smell of freshly dug soil and a feeling of
well-being after a good workout in the fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment